ISO 3864 specifies international standards for safety symbols. These labels are graphical, to overcome language barriers. The standard is split into four parts:
- ISO 3864-1:2011 Part 1: Design principles for safety signs and safety
- ISO 3864-2:2016 Part 2: Design principles for product safety labels
- ISO 3864-3:2012 Part 3: Design principles for graphical symbols for use in safety signs
- ISO 3864-4:2011 Part 4: Colorimetric and photometric properties of safety sign materials
These are the colors specified in ISO Standard 3864-4 in RAL colour standard.
||Example of Color
|Backgrounds and Symbol
The corresponding American standard is ANSI Z535, which is incompatible with the ISO standard. ANSI standard ANSI Z535.6-2006 defines an optional accompanying text in one or more languages.
ISO 3864 is extended by ISO 7010, which provides a set of symbols based on the principles and properties specified in ISO 3864.
- ISO 7010 - Standard for safety symbols used in ISO 3864.
- ANSI Z535 - Corresponding American standard for safety signage.